Workshops are regularly held at:
South Vancouver Adult Day Care Centre
3076 East 49th Ave. (and Kerr Street)
From 1pm to 4pm
with free lunch from 12pm to 1pm
Call Lorina or Julie at CDWCR (604-874-0649) for more information and to register. Free caregiver manual, lunch and refreshments.
The CDWCR Care-Net (Caregivers Network) Project featuring a series of workshops to help caregivers do their jobs well was launched in 2007 with a grant from Vancity Credit Union.
Workshops and Events
CareNet Project Workshops
CareNet (Caregivers Network) Project aims to assist caregivers and domestic workers (CDWs) in British Columbia, to integrate into their communities beyond the initial settlement process. This will be achieved by providing them with up-to-date information about the LCP and technical training through a series of workshops to enhance their skills. The knowledge and the skills will help them in their transition from temporary migrants to landed immigrants and eventually to Canadian citizens.
All are Sunday events and will be held at South Vancouver Adult Day Centre, 3076 E. 49th Ave. (and Kerr Street), Vancouver from 1pm to 4pm with Free Lunch from 12pm to 1pm.
- Sep 8, 2019: Study on Employment Standards Act
- Oct 20, 2019: Employment Standards Workshop
- Nov 3, 2019: Planning for the Future
- Jun 9, 2019: Financial and Physical Health Wellness
- Apr 14, 2019: Financial Workshop
- Mar 17, 2019: Income Tax Preparation
- Feb 24, 2019: Caregivers Immigration Workshop
- Feb 3, 2019: Study on Caregivers Immigration and TFWP
- Feb 26, 2017: Caregivers' Immigration Workshop
- Mar 19, 2017: Income Tax Workshop
- Apr 9, 2017: Caregivers' Needs Assessment
- Jun 11, 2017: Employment Standards workshop
- Sep 10, 2017: Financial Basics
- Oct 15, 2017: Basic Technology Workshop
- Nov 26, 2015: Mental Health Workshop
Other CDWCR Activities
- July 1, 2019: Canada Day Annual Walk for Landed Status Now and Picnic
- Aug 17, 2019: Summer Out of Town
- Nov 23, 2019: Fundraising Event
- Dec 14, 2019: CDWCR 27th Anniversary and Christmas Party
Events’ venues will be announced closer to the date of the events.
CDWCR Annual General Meeting will be held at South Vancouver Adult Day Centre, 3076 E. 49th Ave. (and Kerr Street), Vancouver from 1pm to 4pm with Free Lunch from 12pm to 1pm.
- May 26, 2019: Annual General Meeting and Anti-Racism and Anti-Xenophobia Workshop
- May 7, 2017: Sun, 1-4pm — Annual General Meeting
- Jul 1, 2017: Sat, 10am-1pm — Canada Day Picnic
- Aug 19, 2017: Sat, 7pm-12am — Annual out-of-town picnic
- Nov 18, 2017: Sat, 7-9pm — Pasko Na Naman IV
- Dec 9, 2017: — CDWCR Anniversary & Christmas Party
Past CareNet workshops
- Feb 16, 2014: Live-in Caregiver Program and Immigration flyer
- Mar 9, 2014: Income Tax Workshop
- Apr 13, 2014: Elderly care skills flyer
- Jun 22, 2014: Employment Standards workshop flyer
- Aug 10, 2014: Child Care Skills - theory and practice
- Sep 14, 2014: Financial Basics
- Oct 19, 2014: Preparing for Permanent Resident Status
- Nov 16, 2014: Preparing for Life after LCP
- Feb 17, 2013: Live-in Caregiver Program and Immigration
- Mar 24, 2013: Income Tax Workshop
- Apr 21, 2013: Elderly care skills
- Jun 24, 2013: Employment Standards workshop
- Aug 18, 2013: Child Care Skills - theory and practice
- Sep 22, 2013: Financial Basics
- Oct 20, 2013: Preparing for Permanent Resident Status
- Nov 17, 2013: Preparing for Life after LCP
- Aug 19, 2012: Child Care Skills - theory and practice
- Jun 24, 2012: Employment Standards workshop
- Apr 22, 2012: Elderly care skills
- Mar 18, 2012: Income Tax Workshop
- Feb 19, 2012: TFWP/LCP and Immigration
- Sep 23, 2012: Savings and Investment
- Oct 21, 2012: Preparing for Permanent Resident Status
- Nov 18, 2012: Preparing for Life after LCP
- Sept 18, 2011: Elderly care skills - how do you identify and deal with abuses
- Aug 21, 2011: Child Care Skills - theory and practice
- June 19, 2011: Employment Standards workshop
- April 17, 2011: Savings and Investment; will preparation
- March 20, 2011: Income Tax Workshop
- Feb 20, 2011: LCP and Immigration view flyer [pdf]
- Nov. 21, 2010: Preparing for Life after LCP
This is usually the last workshop of the Care-Net Project. This workshop provides valuable information that may help participants settle in Canada after the program. Resource speakers sharing information on settlement, training and upgrading, career planning and job search are invited. In this workshop a number of CDWCR members share their experiences of successfully overcoming their challenges in transitioning and settling in Canada. Those who choose to share their stories do so in the hope of empowering women as they face their own challenges transitioning and settling in Canada. Participants gain useful information to help them settle in Canada after LCP. The workshop provides information to assist participants to effectively deal with the other challenges after LCP such as family reunification, career training, housing, and seeking for new employment, to name a few.
- Oct. 24, 2010: Financial Literacy and Will Preparation
This workshop aims to provide information regarding different types of insurance like life insurance and critical illness insurance. This also covers will preparation. The goal of this workshop is to provide participants with necessary information that can be applied in their everyday life and to help them prepare for any unforeseen situations. Knowledgeable resource persons are invited as speakers.
- Sept. 19, 2010: Preparing for Permanent Resident Status
This workshop aims to help live-in caregivers and domestic workers go over the step by step process of applying for a permanent resident status. Immigration requirements and up-to-date immigration about LCP are carefully explained. This workshop is facilitated by CDWCR volunteers, lead by one of CDWCR’s member and volunteer who is a Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant.
- July 18, 2010: Elderly Care Skills Training
This workshop provides an opportunity to have a good understanding of the different issues around supporting elderly people. Participants engage in a unique interactive workshop where they have the opportunity to do several activities simulating some challenges faced by those with physical disabilities. Such activities increase the participants’ level of empathy and enhance their skills in providing care for the elderly. Elderly care practitioners are invited to serve as resource person and facilitator for this workshop.
- June27, 2010: Assertiveness Training for Live-in Caregivers
The goal of this training is to develop leadership skills among caregivers and domestic workers and to encourage community involvement. It also provides them opportunities to develop assertive skills so they can assert their rights and advocate for themselves. Guest facilitators and resource speakers guide participants in the learning process.
- May 23, 2010: Child Care Skills Training
This workshop provides participants information regarding child care. The workshop as a whole presents an opportunity to empower caregivers through group activities, role playing, games, slides show, and in-depth discussions about the value of the work that caregivers do. CDWCR members who work in field of child care share their best practice approach in providing quality childcare in the community. CDWCR is fortunate to have a volunteer/member who is a BC Licensed Early Childhood Educator, who is always willing to impart her expertise.
- April 18, 2010: Immigration Forum on LCP and Temporary Foreign Worker Program
This workshop focuses on Live In Caregiver Program and the common issues and problems that LCP participants may encounter. The goal of this workshop is to provide participants with information on how these common problems can be prevented and resolved. Resource speakers who have experience in the field are invited to faciliate this workshop.
This year (2010), the workshop served as an Immigration Forum, as a response to increasing inquiries regarding CIC’s (Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s) announcement of the recent changes to the LCP (Live-In Caregiver Program). Representatives from CIC were invited to present and answer questions from participants.
- March 21, 2010: Income Tax Workshop
This workshop provides basic information regarding income tax preparation. By attending this workshop, participants would be familiarized with the different forms used in income tax preparation and step by step procedures of calculating and filling up the forms. This workshop emphasizes on the different deductibles that may be unique to the LCP participants. This is facilitated by trained and competent CDWCR volunteers.
Past CDWCR Activities
- May 4, 2014: Annual General Meeting flyer
- Jul 1, 2014: Canada Day Picnic
- Jul 20, 2014: Annual out-of-town picnic
- Aug 30, 2014 Singing Workshop flyer
- Oct 25, 2014: Halloween Fundraising Dance flyer
- Dec 20, 2014: Pasko Na Naman II with the CDWCR's Singing Nannies flyer
- Dec 20, 2014: CDWCR 22nd Anniversary & Christmas Celebration Dinner and Dance
- May 12, 2013: AGM & anti-racism workshop
- Jul 1, 2013: Canada Day Picnic
- Jul 21, 2013: Annual out-of-town picnic
- Oct 26, 2013: Halloween Fundraising Dance flyer
- Nov 23, 2013: Pasko Na Naman! flyer
- Dec 7, 2013: CDWCR 21st Anniversary & Christmas Celebration
- Dec 1, 2012: CDWCR 20th Anniversary & Christmas Celebration
- Oct 27, 2012: Halloween Fundraising Dance
- Jul 22, 2012: Annual out-of-town picnic
- Jul 1, 2012: Canada Day Picnic at Trout Lake. Potluck will be cancelled if it rains
- May 12, 2012: AGM & anti-racism workshop
- July 24, 2011: Annual out-of-town picnic
- July 1, 2011: Canada Day Picnic at Trout Lake. Potluck will be cancelled if it rains
- May 22, 2011: AGM & anti-racism workshop
- Dec. 12, 2010: CDWCR 18TH Anniversary and Christmas Celebration
- Oct. 30, 2010: Halloween Fundraising Dance
- Aug. 22, 2010: Summer Get-Away
- July 1, 2010: Canada Day Picnic
- June 27, 2010: CDWCR AGM & Assertive Training Workshop (AM)
- April 24, 2010: Spring Fundraising Dance